My house may need some cleaning, but I did finish the weekend sewing projects. First, I finally got around to replacing the too-short handles on the slouch bag. It is now perfect!
This bag fits around the body perfectly. It's from Akiko Mano's book "Linen, Wool, and Cotton
." As I mentioned in my previous post on this bag, the only problem with the book is that does not come with an errata sheet. That is an easy fix, however, if you know where to look online for the necessary changes. My original post about this bag has the online source. I love the book. I love the projects. I don't love having to find out the hard way that there are errors in it. 'Nuf said.
The next bag is from "Simple Gifts to Stitch: 30 Elegant and Easy Projects
" by Jocelyn Worrall. It's the bag on the cover.
The alternating stripes were more than I could resist. I was worried that this bag wouldn't be big enough, but the size turned out to be great.
Look at the number of books, etc. this thing holds! It makes a great library bag. I know this because it had it's first trip there today.
I think I like it better in the fabric on the book cover. While I love the pink fabric, the irregular stripes don't show the alternating stripe patterns as well. I followed the pattern completely--a novel idea for me. (Okay, okay, ALMOST completely. The handle fabric is not going in the right direction. I just didn't want to cut into the large piece fabric to make the handles, so I used a leftover piece going in the other direction. I have another piece of matching floral fabric. I want to make another bag using the stripes and floral.)
My last project for the weekend was to do another of the oh-so-late sock creatures. I did TWO! These two are numbers 14 and 15. I am truly halfway there! I used baby socks. Instead of being easier as I thought it would be, it was harder working with smaller socks. Here's the first one.
She's actually quite small except for the head. That's why I've named her N'Se-Phyllis. Things learned from this one: I need to put the eyes farther forward and/or make them larger. Or, maybe I could sew a line across under the eye area to push the snout down. It's hard to see the eyes with that big snout. She's much like one of my previous ones, just smaller.
As so often happens when I have housework to do, I decided to keep working with some of those little socks. I wanted to try doing some antennae. That word looks so weird, I looked it up to be sure it was right. Yes, that is the plural for antenna. I also wanted to try some octopus-like legs. So, here's what was born of the venture:
I could only fit four legs on. I am really happy with this guy. He's definitely a true creature, a Cycloptopus. He's named after the cyclops in the Odyssey, hence he is called Beta Polyphemus.
I'm enjoying the heat immensely! If summers were about two months longer and always this hot, I might consider staying in New York when the hubster retires.......naaaahhhh. The only time I've ever liked snow was when I was sitting in a ski lodge next to the roaring fire in front of a huge picture window waving to the children as they trudged past on their skis.
I'm hooking up to: