I've been having pretty good luck with my sock creatures, but these last two nearly did me in. I haven't posted in a while because I just could not get them to be even remotely the way I wanted them. I have worked, reworked, and reworked them again. I have tried multiple ways of doing the mouths, ears, and limbs. I tried some new eyes. And still, they are not what I wanted.
I worked with the baby socks that I used for the cute brown bunny in my last post on sock creatures. These, though turned out just blah. How can such cute little socks turn into such boring little creatures? (I'm feeling intensely guilty saying this. It's as though I'm a mother saying my kids are ugly. Is this normal?) So here they are.
I tried doing the yarn straight across for a mouth like they do for the original sock monkey design. It is my own ineptitude that caused the one with the red mouth to look as though it is frowning. However, that piece of yarn pulled straight across just doesn't seem like a good idea for a kid's toy anyway. There is nothing holding it firmly in place. I tried to rectify that on the other one by tacking it down with yarn which is why there is a big black blob in the middle of the upper lip.
I wasted sooooo much time on these two that I just wanted them done! Lessons learned: If I do use the yarn mouth again, I will probably try doing really light tacking with matching thread to hold it in place. Also, working with tiny socks is a royal pain in the butt!
So to name the little beasts--Sadlee and Dullci. These are numbers 26 and 27 of the 30. I'm really, really almost there!
I agree with you - tiny socks are troublesome to work with. Nevertheless I can't help but love the one on the left with the spotty bow - he does look truly sorry for himself - ahhh!ReplyDelete
oh they are adorable i love themReplyDelete