While looking for scarf patterns a few days ago, I came across a bunch that I wanted to make. Once again, like the scarf I did a few days ago
, I've tried to turn a knitted pattern into a sewing pattern.
It's not bad, right? Even though it doesn't look like the inspiration scarf below, I am pleased with the way it turned out.
Love it--the fabric, the design, the versatility! The biggest problem was trying to figure out what fabric I could use to achieve the look. While I would love to buy some awesome wool fabric, I need to start using the stash. Decision, decisions! I didn't have anything light and drapey that I could use as a single layer. I decided to go with the lightweight Shao mist pink interlock that had been sitting in the stash since, well let's see.
Wow, this one is practically new! Barely over a year of sitting on my shelf. (Did I mention that this would be my first attempt at working with knit fabric, too?) I was hoping the interlock would achieve those nice, deep folds, but that didn't work out. In retrospect, I think a narrower top section might have come closer to achieving that look. Here's a quick look at how I came up with the pattern and put it together.
First, the knitting pattern gives no finished size. There are a couple of diagrams like this one from the pdf:
I chose to interpret each of the jagged lines as an inch. Now, I think the top section might work better if it was narrower by a couple of inches. I'd also probably drop a couple of those slits.
This one required the dining room table for cutting.
It may look like isosceles triangle here with the two long sides being even, but it really drops 5 inches from one side to the other on the small end, making the other two sides uneven as well. I'd like to try making a larger drop from side to side next time.
I chose to make buttonholes for the slits in the top.
I basted some light-weight interfacing where the buttonholes would be, serged the edges leaving a few inches open for turning, turned it out, top-stitched the edges, and spaced out six buttonholes at the top. Took out the interface basting and it was done!
Once I got over my initial disappointment that it is quite different from the inspiration piece, I started having fun with it. The more I played with it, the more options I found for wearing it.
Taking a short break from scarf making to put together something special from an unusual fabric source. Hope it will be ready to show you in a couple of days.