I have been mulling this project for weeks and decided the procrastination had to stop today. I put on my Harry Potter films for inspiration and started drafting a pattern.
I drafted a pattern by guess and by luck coming up with this.
It's supposed to look like a dragon wing draped over the shoulder. Hopefully it looks like that to others. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.
Now, how to keep it in place. The original pattern had buttons on the shoulder which looked great on the knitted version, but I didn't think buttons would look good on the fabric once it was finished. I decided on the silver pin which is listed as a scarf or kilt pin on Etsy. I was going to wear the scarf on my trip to California until the pin came in the mail and I saw just how long a four inch pin really is. No way that was getting through TSA! I'm glad I got it, though. It looks great with the scarf.
None of the photos are showing the great texture of the fabric. The "scales" are raised bumps in the fabric. You can kind of see it more in the photo below.
While it took weeks of mental prepping, it only took one afternoon to make the scarf (or three Harry Potter movies). As I type this, I am on my fourth movie at the very part where Harry is fighting the Hungarian Horntail dragon. How fitting!