I made another birdbath! Love it! My new squirrel-proof bird feeders are working so well I needed another birdbath for all my feathered guests.
I could not find a matching plate and vase in "my price range" (aka cheap). Sooo, I got a blue decorative plate for $5.99 and a clear vase
for $7.99. I used food coloring to get the water to the same shade as
the plate. (Don't use too much food coloring. A little goes a long
way.) Blue with just a couple of drops of green got the water to match
the plate almost perfectly. I put this together the same as I did this one last year.
You can read about that here. I used the E6000 glue and clear silicone caulk same as last year, although a more permanent glass epoxy might be another way to do it.
The red one doesn't have water in the base, and moisture got in before I sealed it with the silicone caulk last year. That wasn't a good look. With the blue one being filled with water, I sealed this one with silicone to keep the water clean and clear. I left an inch of space in case the water needs some room to expand or something. Science is not my strong suit. I might be wrong with that need for expansion. It may not be necessary to leave the space. Maybe some reader can let us know in the comments.
I shall let you know how the birds like it.
Update: Two things I'd like to mention here. First, Duckyzgal asked about the water getting contaminated in the comment section. If you have concerns/questions, I've added some info in my reply to her comment below.
Second, I probably should have reemphasized some things about using the E6000 in this post. You really have to use it according to the directions and sparingly. If you put on too much it will run down the glass. While you can cut off run lines on the outside, you can't on the inside. That said, E6000 dries to a rubbery finish that can be cut off. It's not a big deal to take off the old glue and try again.