Since I have an aversion to following directions, I made some changes in the pattern. Here is my first prototype. It bears almost no resemblance to Joel's other than that both are fabric and squarish. I did, however, follow his basic pattern. The fabric is a Joann's wool remnant and buttons are from my old button stash. I love the old man leather buttons on one side.
Joel's box was smaller and had ties at the top. I needed something a bit bigger for my sock collection aka future sock creature collection. I decided to go with button loops at the top and midway down.
This was a pretty quick project despite my changes--an evening of work. I will definitely be doing more with corduroy, denim, and a few pieces of decorator fabric I have. Some changes I will probably make in the future:
- Make the sides a little shorter. This is a ten inch square on the bottom and the sides are 10x12. Joel's base was 7x7 and the sides were--ummm, I forget. I think 7 as well.
- I'd also use something heavier than the Pellon ultra-firm stabilizer or, at least use a double thickness of the Pellon. I want those sides to stand tall, and I want to store heavier things in them.
- I might put more buttons down the sides to make it more solid, too.