So the other day I wanted a purple belt to match my shirt, and twenty minutes later I had one. This newest crafting obsession actually has some worth. The purple one even has a hook to hold my keys or that cute little Chapstick holder that I've been meaning to make for the last two years.
I thought sewing this loop for the swivel hook would be a pain, but it was quite easy. I sewed the
webbing loop with the hook on it and then twisted it around so that the seam would be
on the inside. Next time I shall try it with the matching ribbon on
I'm still experimenting with these belts. For the one below, I put ribbon on both sides which worked out well.
In keeping with my new year's resolution to use up the stash, I've also been trying to make do with the hardware I have on hand. I used up all the one-inch d-rings like the ones on this belt:
and rummaged through the stash to come up with two different pieces I had purchased for bag-making. I think I may like both these even more than the d-rings for the belts. Never could figure how to use the first ones below for bag handles, but they work really well for a belt.
I sewed the webbing around the two lower loops and use the outer loops for closing the belt. The second one, below, is the same basic design except that the center piece moves.
You can loop the belt end to the inside which gives a nice flat, clean look without that belt end waving about. I'm not a big fan of that end piece hanging out. Depending on the pants you are wearing you might be able to get that end to tuck into a belt loop but sometimes not. Looping to the inside will always keep the end out of the way.
|Belt looped to the inside--nice look IMHO|
I also decided to spruce up the two store-bought cloth belts I had hanging around with some ribbon.
I think Brian is getting a bit fearful that I may start embellishing his
belts with polka dots or boats, so I'm moving on to something else
tomorrow. I have a ruler to make circular quilts (Jaybird Quilts
maybe?) that's been sitting around for a couple of years. Time to put
it to work!
I shall leave you with a few things learned from all this ribbon belt sewing:
- I have stopped using any Wonder Under or Steam-a-Seam. I found it easier to just guide the ribbon as I sew it on. It is especially easy when the ribbon is the same width as the webbing. The iron-on stuff also creates small puckers at times. The puckers aren't significant and don't show when the belt is bent around your waist, but why add to the cost of making these if you can avoid it.
- While I usually use a long stitch when sewing on ribbons and such, I shorted them up on these to a 2.5 or 3 setting on my Brother machine. It looks better and seems sturdier to me.