I've fallen behind on my sock creatures. As a means of covering my butt, I will point out that, thankfully, I did say "thirty days or so" on my original post about this (or words to that effect). I got four done this week. I've decided to go for quality rather than finishing on time. My excuse: I've joined Americorps. (That "s" on the end just seems wrong to me, but that's the name.) Americorps now have a volunteer program open to everyone from college students through retirees. I'm serving half-time as a volunteer coordinator for an elder care facility. In any case, here are the four completed this week.
This is #10. He's Homer Simpson's evil twin. Don't you think they bear a resemblance or is it just me? I've named him Gomer. This was my first attempt at teeth. I think it went well. The problem I have with this one is that it completely lacks symmetry. I love symmetry. It's hard to get when using leftovers from other creature ventures, though. The Stupid Sock Creatures book has some rather rustic looking ones, too. This one actually looks good in comparison. It's growing on me.
It's definitely part hamster. From the back you can see the coordinating sock used for the underside.
I'm particularly pleased with the ribbon tongue.
I'm doing more of the sewing around the mouth and closings by hand which looks much better. A mistake with this one was using loose stuffing without any batting. It's lumpy looking. Next time I'll wrap batting around stuffing and squeeze that in. Since she, like Bob the Blob, is rather nondescript, she has been named Bobbette the Blobbette.
I like this one, but it is totally different than it was supposed to be. Those flippers were supposed to be wings. Everyone thinks they look like flippers including me. I placed them too far back. I also should have put something inside to stabilize the flipper/wings since they rippled a good bit. I sewed about a quarter of an inch in along the edge of the flipper/wings and another line about a half inch from that to try to get rid of the rippling effect. They are better but still not flat. To get something resembling wings next time, I will use some stiff interfacing.
I love the tongue sticking out. It kind of resembles something prehistoric. Name: Sarah Jurassica Parker.
And last, #13:
Originally I was going to have the ribbons sticking out all the way around. Because they are several inches long, however, I soon realized that it would be nearly impossible not to catch the edges in the other side. I'd like to try this again with shorter ribbon pieces. It was late when I was doing it, though, and there was no way I was going to start cutting the ribbons down. Name: Whiskaretta. I am sure if sock creatures could sing, this one would have a whiskey tenor.
Goals 10, 11, 12, and 13: complete! I'm almost halfway there!!!